It's heating up here in Oregon! When the temperature starts to soar and you want to stay cool, don't forget to make your favorite 4 legged partner comfortable too.
- Make sure they have access to clean, cool water. I try to place my water troughs in the shade too if I can.
- Provide a source of shade. A simple tree or lean to will do.
- Try to ride in the early morning or evening hours after the sun has gone down.
- If you bath or hose your horse down, be sure to use a sweat scraper to remove as much water off the horse as possible. While the body may temporarily cool down from the bath, the water will quickly warm the body as it absorbs the body heat, actually making the horse warmer.
- Don't forget electrolytes on heavy work days!
So get out there and enjoy summer with your horse, just remember to stay cool! If you need a place for you and your horse to call home, let's find you one! Check out a real estate site for Oregon Horse Property!