Here is a great article written by a fellow real estate agent on taking care of your pets during a move. Moving is stressful, and there are many balls to juggle all at once. Having pets and moving can complicate the process even more. Follow Laura's tips to help you and your furry family members prepare for the move to your new home.
Moving with Pets
As your moving plans get underway, don't forget to plan ahead for moving the family pet. Here, courtesy of the pet experts at Purina, are some preparations to make before traveling:
- Carry health and rabies certificates with you. Airlines and health officials generally require health certificates for all animals transported by air. In most cases, health certificates must be issued by a licensed veterinarian within ten days of transport.
- If you're traveling by air with your pet, try to avoid peak travel periods when delays and stopovers are longer. Plan a trip with as few stops and transfers as possible. Avoid traveling in extreme hot or cold weather to avoid dangerous loading and unloading periods for your pet.
- Some airlines allow cats and small dogs to travel with their owner if the carrier fits under the passenger seat. When you make your reservation, be sure you tell the airline that you're traveling with your pet and find out the airlines' specific requirements. Reconfirm 24-48 hours before departure that you'll bring your pet.
- Ask your veterinarian to provide any required vaccinations, prescriptions medications, or treatments before you travel.
- Pack your pet's water and food bowls, grooming equipment, favorite toy(s), treats, and any medication they may require. Don't forget plastic bags for cleanup.
- Will you be stopping along the way? Plan ahead by visiting www.petswelcome.com, where you can search for hotels, motels, and B&Bs, that are pet-friendly.
What about small animals and birds?
Birds and small pets, such as gerbils and hamsters, can generally travel in their cages. Birds are very susceptible to drafts and sudden changes in temperature. To keep your bird calm, its cage should be covered while on the road.
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Preferred Real Estate, Best Auburn Realtors, Best Opelika Realtors
Associate Broker, Realtor, GRI
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Preferred Real Estate, Inc.
1810 E. Glenn Avenue, Suite 130
Auburn, AL 36830
EXPERT IN AUBURN - OPELIKA - REAL ESTATE SERVICES
If you are buying or selling property in the Auburn - Opelika, AL area, my team and I will provide you with the service that you need. We're the #1 real estate company in Auburn's #1 office.
Please call me today at (334) 332-7263.
To view homes for sale in the Auburn - Opelika area please click here.
Referrals are always welcomed and appreciated, Thank-you!